Re: AAPC and SkyX Not Fully Communicating with Each Other #APCC

Ray Gralak

Hi Dale,

As another data point in this vein, we set NINA to poll drivers every 2 seconds by default. We found that some
older hardware and/or their drivers have a tough time dealing with more frequent polling; perhaps because the
serial commands being emitted by the device's ASCOM driver take some time for the equipment's own processor
to render a response and the ASCOM driver does not cache responses from the equipment.
The driver does cache many of the commands. However, what can slow the driver down is formatting the text and writing to the log file, especially on devices with slow disk write speeds. That usually puts an upper limit on how many commands per second the driver can handle.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dale Ghent
Sent: Sunday, October 4, 2020 12:34 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AAPC and SkyX Not Fully Communicating with Each Other #APCC

As another data point in this vein, we set NINA to poll drivers every 2 seconds by default. We found that some
older hardware and/or their drivers have a tough time dealing with more frequent polling; perhaps because the
serial commands being emitted by the device's ASCOM driver take some time for the equipment's own processor
to render a response and the ASCOM driver does not cache responses from the equipment.

/dale

On Oct 4, 2020, at 12:19 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io>
wrote:

Thanks. I had it set to 500msec but will set it to 2 seconds and see if that makes a difference.

Roland

Sent: Sun, Oct 4, 2020 10:58 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AAPC and SkyX Not Fully Communicating with Each Other #APCC

Hi Roland,

One thing you can do is to open the log file in APCC or the ASCOM driver and look to see what SkyX is doing
at
startup. On mine I always see multiple errors with the above situation. Sometimes SkyX sends thousands of
requests for position in rapid order - so fast that the ASCOM driver doesn't have time to respond.
SkyX is by default set to update the screen “as fast as possible”, which means it will poll the AP V2 ASCOM
driver as fast as it can.

You can change that setting in the menu at the top of SkyX: Telescope -> Telescope Settings…

<image001.png>

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>
via
groups.io
Sent: Sunday, October 4, 2020 8:37 AM

I have seen something similar with my SkyX on my laptop. If I have a Java app running on the laptop then
SkyX
will not operate correctly. It connects ok, shows "Tracking at Sidereal", but will not slew properly. The only
way
that I can operate SkyX properly is to close all my Java apps.

One thing you can do is to open the log file in APCC or the ASCOM driver and look to see what SkyX is doing
at
startup. On mine I always see multiple errors with the above situation. Sometimes SkyX sends thousands of
requests for position in rapid order - so fast that the ASCOM driver doesn't have time to respond.

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Oct 3, 2020 7:12 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] AAPC and SkyX Not Fully Communicating with Each Other #APCC

Hello,
I have a problem that I am wondering if others have run into this. I have an AP 1200Gto mount upgraded to
GTOCP4 and I control it with APCC Pro. My desktop computer (32 gb of ram) has Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I
have
no trouble connecting to my mount through APCC - I connect via Ethernet. My APCC, AP drivers and
firmware
are all up to date and I am using ASCOM 6.4 sp1 (on advice from AP support). I have TheSkyX Pro and the
camera control add-on and want to use them for mount control and imaging. I have the latest version and
build of
SkyX. After starting APCC and connecting to the mount, I then run SkyX and connect easily to the mount. I
can
control and move the mount from SkyX. However, if I select a target in SkyX, it will slew in the direction of the
object but be off by 30-40 degrees. SkyX thinks the scope has correctly slewed to the object and will indicate
that
on its map. FYI, I have been over the parameters of both SkyX and APCC and they both match up. It is not
a
time issue as far as I can tell. There is no time or location difference between APCC and SkyX and this is not
a
polar alignment issue. I do not think it is the mount since I re-connected the keypad and attempted to slew to
an
object - it landed right on it. In my opinion, it is either SkyX or communication between SkyX and APCC. I
have
considered re-installing SkyX but I’m not sure yet that will help.
I am working with George on this issue but I thought it might be worthwhile to ask the forum if anyone else
has
run into a similar problem? If anyone has had similar issues, I would appreciate hearing about them.
-Robert
<image001.png>

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.