locked Re: #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE #APCC

Bill Long

Your commentary proves that the cost/benefit of PinPoint is minimal, and I would go further to say that you think it is a great solution because of the sunk cost you have on your ledger. Not because its actually good from a cost/benefit perspective vs other competing options.

The sunk cost fallacy. ūüėČ

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Valente <bvalente@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:04 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE

>>> Fine, would you quibble about me asking you to send me $150 plus yearly sub costs since, apparently, it means nothing to you? Are you really that full of yourself?  I have no idea why you would be resistant to this want because it wouldn't affect you anyway; or is being this kind of person is just how you roll?

haha well Dale, i'm not sure how you concluded this was me being full of myself

It's a simple cost benefit analysis.

You could make that same statement/argument of AP, or any other vendor in the solution, that they should include xyz because it doesn't work otherwise.

I'm not interested in throwing my money away, and I'm not made of money.

My position is simply that relative to the cost of everything else, having a working reliable platesolve as part of it is one of the smallest expenses I've encountered.

You may feel differently about if it's a legitimate or warranted expense, but financially speaking, the above is true.

I use SGP, ASTAP, and a bunch of other software on other setups I have, and I appreciate the advances they  made. And as I said, If and when APPM supports ASTAP or whatever, i'll be happy to move to the best solution, i'm not against that at all. I'm about what works today

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 7:53 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2020, at 10:20 PM, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:
>

> My AP mount (and presumably yours) cost untold thousands of dollars (worth it),
>
> Filters, camera etc. telescope are probably equivalent but likely more.
>
> APCC costs about 1500 full price(?)
>
> and you want to quibble about $150 for a plate solving solution that makes your pointing and tracking significantly improved?
>
>  This totally mystifies me.
>
> APCC Pro and pinpoint to me are the biggest no-brainer decision. It's one of the smallest expenses in this whole setup. it's probably less than just the tax we paid for the camera!

Fine, would you quibble about me asking you to send me $150 plus yearly sub costs since, apparently, it means nothing to you? Are you really that full of yourself?  I have no idea why you would be resistant to this want because it wouldn't affect you anyway; or is being this kind of person is just how you roll?

Conversely, a $1500 suite should not require another $XXX (yearly recurring) dollars of 3rd party /middleware/ in order to just execute a core function. I mean, we're not even using SGPro (or TSX for that matter) for other purposes that are unique to those programs - they're just surrogates for running a plate solver... plate solvers that APPM can do just as well running directly and cut out the extra indirection.

/dale

--
Brian

Brian Valente