locked Re: #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE #APCC

Bill Long

Wrong. But this isnt a debate thread so I will leave that as my only retort. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Mlooker <look-up1@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 7:36 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE

Bingo, yes they do care that it is free, everything is overpriced when
its not free, or ancient or not for them or...

On 9/26/2020 7:11 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
> Dale,
>
> The issue I care about is the accuracy of its plate solves.
>
> The issue you and others seem to most care about, is that it is free!
>
> I would rather have slower, yet more accurate plate solves, so tracking rate modelling will be as accurate as possible. Until I can
> run through a set of images to test accuracy I won't know.
>
> -Ray Gralak
> Author of PEMPro
> Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://eur06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro-physics.com%2Fapcc-pro&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C082457b7332d44175fa508d8628e1c27%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637367709776010956&amp;sdata=HZ262MGyAC9SD2zy4zx1iv2K1Ktk3%2FjGcgLCp22M5WQ%3D&amp;reserved=0
> Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://eur06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.siriusimaging.com%2Fapdriver&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C082457b7332d44175fa508d8628e1c27%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637367709776010956&amp;sdata=1SrRO%2BOSwS8KHeUn8%2BjP2Yf%2BbssA%2FTQgI1apY3B4ymI%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dale Ghent
>> Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 6:54 PM
>> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
>> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE
>>
>>
>>
>>> On Sep 26, 2020, at 9:24 PM, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Dale,
>>>
>>> I'm not saying this is the case here but surely you must know that open source does not necessarily mean it has
>> to be free, or
>>> remain free?
>> The ASTAP code is licensed under a very tested and common open source license, and the code as it is will remain
>> free under the terms of that license. The only way that code could be made non-free is if all contributors to that code
>> all voted favorably to change the license to a non-open one. If that happened the code as it was up to that point
>> remains open, as it existed under the open license. Subsequent revisions will continue under the non-open license.
>> This still allows someone to fork the codebase prior to the re-licensing and continue developing the software on their
>> own, perhaps under a different organization or project, under the original open license. That's just how it works, and
>> why I say that the code cannot just disappear.
>>
>> Believe me, Ray, it's not so common and certainly isn't as dire as a lot of people seem to make it out to be. Open
>> source licenses would be pretty weak things if they permitted this stuff and we would not see open source
>> frameworks, libraries, apps and entire operating environments flourish and end up in things from our home router to
>> our car infotainment to medical devices if this were a real fear. Another thing that seems to get people confused is
>> having an open source program but charging for support, which is a common model in the open source community
>> that is used to support development.
>>
>>> I was more concerned that this is just a beta and doesn't seem to be able to solve the images I gave to it.
>>>
>>> The purpose for this test is to determine the accuracy of the solutioms.
>> Right, so I don't know what you got from the NASA server exactly so I passed you the list of things that make
>> ASTAP work well. It's designed to be a solver for imagers and so it's really geared towards consuming data that
>> would come from such an environment. Stretched, processed, and whatever else the NASA sky survey server
>> (slowly) regurgitates might not fit the bill in that regard.
>>
>> /dale
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.