locked Re: #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE #APCC


 

>>> If the image area is smaller, for example because of a longer focal length, it may be more of a challenge.

we're at 0.63"/pix and APPM+pinpoint has worked great

When we do a sky model with around 270 points, we might get <5 failed plate solves



On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 10:04 AM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
> Voyager uses ASTAP natively and it works like a champ. APPM doesn't solve repetitively enough for me to be
> concerned about it.

I don't even understand what that means?

APPM does not natively plate solve. It uses an external plate solver. It simply reads the RA/Dec and other values from the solver,
or intermediary app.

For plate-solving I typically use PinPoint and all-sky backup to Astrometry.Net. I've done many thousands of plate solves. Maybe
even hundreds of thousands. Unless there is a tree, clouds, or something else obscuring the sky, plate solves have been extremely
reliable at the image scale I typically use (around 1.6 arc-sec/pixel). That said, PinPoint can have problems in areas of the sky
where there are too many stars in the selected database, typically around the milkyway.

If the image area is smaller, for example because of a longer focal length, it may be more of a challenge.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver


> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Long
> Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 9:48 AM
> To: Ray Gralak; main@ap-gto.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE
>
> Voyager uses ASTAP natively and it works like a champ. APPM doesn't solve repetitively enough for me to be
> concerned about it.
>
> ________________________________
>
> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Gralak <groups3@...>
> Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 9:26 AM
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE
>
> >  It could be as simple as the fact that APPM is doing a large number of plate solves in a short period of time.
>
> I hope that's not true because it might make ASTAP a poor choice for plate solving.
>
> -Ray Gralak
> Author of PEMPro
> Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center):
> https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro-physics.com%2Fapcc-
> pro&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C5d031ac0f6f64c67c2a908d86238f03c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa
> %7C1%7C0%7C637367343966191971&amp;sdata=L5NWYJiNctTmuNFXvB37zZINb6CJ57eCgg7MyuWklfw%3D&
> amp;reserved=0 <https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro-
> physics.com%2Fapcc-
> pro&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C5d031ac0f6f64c67c2a908d86238f03c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa
> %7C1%7C0%7C637367343966191971&amp;sdata=L5NWYJiNctTmuNFXvB37zZINb6CJ57eCgg7MyuWklfw%3D&
> amp;reserved=0>
> Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver:
> https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.siriusimaging.com%2Fapdriver&amp;d
> ata=02%7C01%7C%7C5d031ac0f6f64c67c2a908d86238f03c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0
> %7C637367343966191971&amp;sdata=L0AH7Z1UH%2FJv8TKH4hHT4xKWMZHMWDSKLJQbgVhwQsg%3D&am
> p;reserved=0
> <https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.siriusimaging.com%2Fapdriver&amp;
> data=02%7C01%7C%7C5d031ac0f6f64c67c2a908d86238f03c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C
> 0%7C637367343966191971&amp;sdata=L0AH7Z1UH%2FJv8TKH4hHT4xKWMZHMWDSKLJQbgVhwQsg%3D&a
> mp;reserved=0>
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of W Hilmo
> > Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:50 AM
> > To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> > Subject: Re: [ap-gto] #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > I suspect that it's an ASTAP problem, but something that APPM is doing is exposing it.  It could be as simple as
> the
> > fact that APPM is doing a large number of plate solves in a short period of time.  As I mentioned, I've not had time
> > to do any investigation at all yet.
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ray Gralak
> > Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 6:52 PM
> > To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> > Subject: Re: [ap-gto] #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE
> >
> > > I switched to ASTAP for my plate solves with SGP and am seeing what is
> > > probably the same issue described in the first post of this thread.
> >
> > APPM doesn't know which plate solver is in use when SGPro is used for plate solving. APPM operates the same
> > way for all SGPro plate solvers because APPM uses the SGPro API for plate solving. Since PlateSolve2 doesn't
> > seem to show the same problem, it seems likely that the problem is with how SGPro handles ASTAP.
> >
> > -Ray Gralak
> > Author of PEMPro
> > Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center):
> https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro-physics.com%2Fapcc-
> pro&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C5d031ac0f6f64c67c2a908d86238f03c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa
> %7C1%7C0%7C637367343966191971&amp;sdata=L5NWYJiNctTmuNFXvB37zZINb6CJ57eCgg7MyuWklfw%3D&
> amp;reserved=0 <https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro-
> physics.com%2Fapcc-
> pro&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C5d031ac0f6f64c67c2a908d86238f03c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa
> %7C1%7C0%7C637367343966191971&amp;sdata=L5NWYJiNctTmuNFXvB37zZINb6CJ57eCgg7MyuWklfw%3D&
> amp;reserved=0>
> > Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver:
> https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.siriusimaging.com%2Fapdriver&amp;d
> ata=02%7C01%7C%7C5d031ac0f6f64c67c2a908d86238f03c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0
> %7C637367343966191971&amp;sdata=L0AH7Z1UH%2FJv8TKH4hHT4xKWMZHMWDSKLJQbgVhwQsg%3D&am
> p;reserved=0
> <https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.siriusimaging.com%2Fapdriver&amp;
> data=02%7C01%7C%7C5d031ac0f6f64c67c2a908d86238f03c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C
> 0%7C637367343966191971&amp;sdata=L0AH7Z1UH%2FJv8TKH4hHT4xKWMZHMWDSKLJQbgVhwQsg%3D&a
> mp;reserved=0>
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf
> > > Of W Hilmo
> > > Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 9:29 AM
> > > To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> > > Subject: Re: [ap-gto] #APCC APCC/APPM blocking issue with AP1100GTOAE
> > >
> > > I switched to ASTAP for my plate solves with SGP and am seeing what is
> > > probably the same issue described in the first post of this thread.
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>








--
Brian 



Brian Valente

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.