Re: Cannot set new meridian delay

Ray Gralak

Steve,

The problem seems to start with Cartes du Ciel. I usually start (and finish) a session with SharpCap. The delay
input works fine with only SharpCap connected. Then I bring up CDC. That immediately causes the problem. The
only way to fix it seems to be the workarounds described above. So it isn't an urgent problem, and I'm not sure
where the problem actually is, but CDC seems to hose the input mechanism.
It's unlikely that there is anything in the AP V2 driver causing this. It is likely a problem with Cartes du Ciel not implementing rules of COM interop correctly. Both CDC and PHD2, which are both C++ applications, have been known to break one of the COM interop rules (only access the COM interop server on the same thread that the COM interop connection was created).

Applications written in .Net (like SGpro, PEMPro, etc.) do not have this issue because .Net automatically funnels all requests into the thread on which the COM interop object was created.

To solve the problem either the client application (CdC) needs to be fixed, or COM interop replaced with something else. For example, a new driver without using COM interop (non-ASCOM).

Unfortunately, ASCOM and Alpaca both have design flaws, so I am hoping that a new framework will be accepted in the future.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steven Panish
Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2020 8:48 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Cannot set new meridian delay

I've got a workaround! Sorry for the delay - unpleasant medical procedure. Not sure what a modal window is but
the other window open was the Cartes du Ciel Alpaca dialog box. Which may be relevant, see below.

It seems that either resetting the delay from the handbox (v2.17 I think) - or just bringing up that window - fixes it. I
did that with no apps open. Also after exiting all ASCOM control via applications, then bringing up PulseGuide and
setting a delay there makes the meridan delay numeric entry work thereafter when I bring up Sharpcap.

The problem seems to start with Cartes du Ciel. I usually start (and finish) a session with SharpCap. The delay
input works fine with only SharpCap connected. Then I bring up CDC. That immediately causes the problem. The
only way to fix it seems to be the workarounds described above. So it isn't an urgent problem, and I'm not sure
where the problem actually is, but CDC seems to hose the input mechanism.

Steve

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 11:02 PM Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> wrote:

Sorry, MODAL dialog box. There is no APCC involved.

That means no part of the main application will be responsive until you close the MODAL dialog box.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steven Panish
> Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:56 PM
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Cannot set new meridian delay
>
> Hi Ray,
>
> Thanks for the input. I'm not using APCC so there is no modeling dialog box open. I've tried both with and
without
> the plus sign, and zero, but nothing takes. It's stuck on 2. I'll try resetting from the handbox. This is the
first time
> I've used a meridian delay with the new driver, didn't have an issue with the older version. Don't remember
what
> that was, sorry. Otherwise, everything is working as far as I can tell. That was the delay I wanted and I
used it for a
> couple nights. I'll report back after trying to clear it with the handbox. I'd have done it the other night but
I've literally
> forgotten where that is in the handbox interface.
>
> Steve
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 9:32 AM Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Steve,
>
>
>
> > But now I can't clear the +2 setting!
>
>
>
> Just to be clear, the driver does not accept a "+" before a number. The background of the control will
turn
> blue to indicate wrong input, and the "Set Meridian Delay" button will become disabled. Here is a
screenshot of this:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> If the problem is not the “+” sign, it also could be the mount is not responding or a model dialog box is
present
> somewhere that you need to dismiss.
>
>
>
> -Ray Gralak
>
> Author of PEMPro
>
> Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
>
> Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver
>
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
>
> > From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steven Panish
>
> > Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 7:14 PM
>
> > To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
>
> > Subject: [ap-gto] Cannot set new meridian delay
>
> >
>
> > Hi All,
>
> >
>
> > Using a 1200 with CP3, V2 chip, ASCOM V2 driver 5.30.10 with multiple apps running (SharpCap
does the
>
> > initialization, PHD2, Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium). A couple nights ago I set a +2 meridian delay using
the
> driver
>
> > interface. The delay works properly. But now I can't clear the +2 setting! The button to disable the
delay
> turns it off
>
> > as it should, but I want to enter a different delay and the interface won't take it, the +2 just stays
there.
> Same
>
> > behavior if the delay is enabled or disabled. I have not tried to use the handbox to reset it, but I want
to be
> able to
>
> > do it from the driver interface in any case. I looked (quickly) at the log and to my inexpert eye there
was no
>
> > command issued that looked like a time change or meridian delay.
>
> >
>
> > Has anyone seen this behavior and (I hope) made it go away?
>
> >
>
> > thanks,
>
> >
>
> > Steve
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.