Re: Unguided imaging and atmospheric refraction

christian viladrich

Here is an interesting link on tracking rate :

https://canburytech.net/DriftAlign/DriftAlign_3.html

I also remember an old S&T issue (late 70s ?) with a figure showing the RA tracking rate depending on hour angle and declination.

In the old times of large Schmidt telescope (with 14"silver plates), they used to tune the polar elevation depending on the imaged area to reduce field rotation. But this is another story.

Best regards

Christian

Le 20/09/2020 à 14:43, davidcfinch9 via groups.io a écrit :

The problem, as I see it, is to which “pole” are you aligning your scope. If you are shooting stars near the pole, your polar alignment should be on the refracted pole for the best tracking. In that situation, your mount will rotate about that refracted pole. If you are shooting stars that are near the celestial equator, for best tracking, your mount should be aligned to the true axis of the earth which is the “real pole.” Clearly there is an optimal position (though not perfect) between the two poles that best fits most  situations.

Regards,

David C. Finch