From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joe Zeglinski
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 1:55 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Problem with PEMPRO polar alignment

Hi,

I get PEMPRO’s sometimes confusing target star selection, a lot as well. I was out there last night for very
many hours just to get a PEMPRO polar align on my AP-1200/CP4. There were times, when it showed “Finding
Star”, then when it seemed to have found it, responding with “ Adjusting period”, strangely, it then kept switching
back to Finding Star, several times, until it finally locked onto something. I strongly suspect, without PemPro
allowing a Dark frame to be included, it may be hitting on a vertical line of bad CCD sensor pixels, and my
camera has several. At times, I had to stop the AZ process, and click BACK, to reposition the scope to the original
align Meridian starting point, before it kept searching into the far east/west horizon, with meaningless results, if
any.

You should check the astro sky reports, to see if the smoke in the upper atmosphere has finally cleared up in
your area. Several nights, earlier, when I initially ran polar alignment, the task was an extreme chore, really a
waste of time. It was finally better here in Ontario after a few days, and the skies are now back to fairly normal.
So, last night’s PEMPRO “Star Finding” inconsistencies were somewhat shorter – but it does work,, just requires
user patience.

Colder autumn nights will surely improve doing the alignment runs.
Joe Z.