Re: Drift Alignment To Help With Unguided Images

Bill Long

I hear you on the Pacific Northwest skies. :) At that focal length I'd be hard pressed to get good data.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 4:20 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Drift Alignment To Help With Unguided Images

Hi Dominique,

I think one of the real issues with the C11 Edge and imaging is when it comes time to do a meridian flip. It seems that the mirror will end up moving some small fraction which ends up making flats somewhat interesting as well. I can image fine with the C11 Edge and have used it quite a bit. I just want to get rid of the mirror flop issue once and for all. I don’t expect my images to be any better – just maybe do some unguided imaging and conquer its challenges J

Heres two images I managed in the last few months on the C11 Edge. No APOD worries – but I’ll blame the NW Pacific skies J

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dominique Durand via groups.io
Sent: August 31, 2020 8:12 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Drift Alignment To Help With Unguided Images

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Tony,
With a C11HD obviously it's a little less simple. I am also in this perspective to be able to use my C11HD on my Mach2 with exposures of more than 1 'and everything depends on the possibility of making a good model.After trial and error, I ended up first improving my MES with Sharpcap, then I noticed in the models made that the orthogonality in DEC was really not good. Either Flip Mirror, or something else like tilt on the camera. As I have a motorized PO FT I have adjusted the MAP as well as possible with the mirror adjustment then blocked without forcing it and also modified the camera fixation. Yesterday evening the 29 point model then the 92 model, despite clouds coming to disturb the resolution of 10 points on the west, indicated better measurements in terms of orthogonality. I then made a test on a star low on the horizon (Near Jupiter) and near the meridian. After 5 'it was still positioned on the center of the crosshair (200%) on the image provided on Sharpcap. Then 6 'exposures on NGC6888 turned out to be quite successful.There are still areas for improvement to get a smoother tracking correction, but I think I can say that there is a possibility of modeling with a C11 and doing poses greater than 3 '.
The link with my post on the subject.
https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/topic/mach2_orthogonality/76392947?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,20,76392947

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.