Re: [ap-ug] Pelican images

Roland Christen

always reminded me of a snake that just nabbed a fish
Never saw it that way, but indeed you are right. I always saw it as a long arm with a hammer on the end.

From: Richard Crisp <rdcrisp@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Cc: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Aug 26, 2020 2:25 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Pelican images

Very nice!

That HHH555 “tornado forming”, if rotated 180 degrees, always reminded me of a snake that just nabbed a fish

The stars at the head end of the captured fish: the poor thing’s oeyeballs bulging out!

18” cass @ f/7.7 and KAF3200ME

“Corrected” by my iPhone

On Aug 26, 2020, at 11:44 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

hello Astronuts,

I did some imaging of the Pelican in extremely poor transparency over the last couple of nights. The seeing was exceptional the first night and very good the next two. transparency was so poor due to fires in Colorado that I could only see a couple of stars and Jupiter. The Moon was blood red. Thank goodness for deep red H-a filters which seem to cut thru the haze.

The first image is the entire Pelican region. The second is a crop of the active region which I will call the "Tornado Forming". It reminds me of our Midwest spring tornadoes which come dancing out of dark clouds and cause much damage when the touch down. We had a number of them this spring, fortunately they all missed our place.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/iuby4z/0/

https://www.astrobin.com/full/pkkm0d/0/?nc=user