Re: Equipment for an observatory

Shane Ramotowski

Hi Eric,

Private message back to you.

Just wanted to let you know that you need to keep track of NM's COVID restrictions.  Currently all travelers entering the state are required to quarantine for 14 days.  We're doing really good at reducing the infection rates and I expect that restriction to lift within the next month, but you should be aware of it and check the governor's public health orders before you come.

- Shane

On 8/19/2020 6:16 PM, Eric Claeys wrote:
My new observatory in NM is almost ready and I hope to drive there in October with my equipment to set it up.  I have a mount (1100GTO-AEL) and telescope, plus a PC/monitor to control it remotely, and will have Internet access as well as a couple cameras to look at the inside of the observatory.  It has a rain sensor and THUM, and is next to NM Skies so I can use their all-sky camera.  It's a roll-off roof and at 7000 ft so doesn't need air conditioning or a fan.  I will have some plastic bins for empty boxes and other stuff (to keep it dry in case of dew or rain).  I have a power surge protector, UPS, and remote power switch.  I will likely only visit once or twice a year.  I will most likely keep the equipment on all the time.
I will connect to the mount via RS232 (the new PC actually has an RS232 port!) and Ethernet when possible, otherwise USB.

What are some things I should consider buying for the observatory?  Chair, broom, step stool, basic tools, other astronomy gear, etc.?
--
Shane Ramotowski
kor@cotse.net