Re: Equipment for an observatory

Chris Carlton

As noted, rodents are a potential problem. But please don't use glue traps. They are horribly indiscriminate and will kill creatures that will happily eat mice, or a least won't bother your equipment. In addition to mice that might chew a wire every now and then, in that part of the country, pack rats (Neotoma sp.) are a very serious threat if they set up shop. They did $500 worth of damage to my newish car (not covered by warranty) last year in one night during a trip to Arizona. The mechanic said I was lucky. If a service is available, contract with a pest control operator about excluding rodents and periodical service checks....just no glue traps, which probably won't work on pack rats anyway.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 8:02 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

What are some things I should consider buying for the observatory?
Mouse traps. Lots of mouse traps. ;^)

From: Eric Claeys <AstroEric@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Aug 19, 2020 7:16 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Equipment for an observatory

My new observatory in NM is almost ready and I hope to drive there in October with my equipment to set it up.  I have a mount (1100GTO-AEL) and telescope, plus a PC/monitor to control it remotely, and will have Internet access as well as a couple cameras to look at the inside of the observatory.  It has a rain sensor and THUM, and is next to NM Skies so I can use their all-sky camera.  It's a roll-off roof and at 7000 ft so doesn't need air conditioning or a fan.  I will have some plastic bins for empty boxes and other stuff (to keep it dry in case of dew or rain).  I have a power surge protector, UPS, and remote power switch.  I will likely only visit once or twice a year.  I will most likely keep the equipment on all the time.
I will connect to the mount via RS232 (the new PC actually has an RS232 port!) and Ethernet when possible, otherwise USB.

What are some things I should consider buying for the observatory?  Chair, broom, step stool, basic tools, other astronomy gear, etc.?

--

Chris Carlton, Ph. D.

Director, Carlton Astronomy Campus

Professor of Entomology, Emeritus

Department of Entomology, Louisiana State University

Baton Rouge, LA USA 70808