Re: Equipment for an observatory

dvjbaja

Will you have someone nearby to assist with troubleshooting and repairs?  No such thing as autonomous. If it can fail, it will.  Speaking from experience.

jg

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 6:02 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

What are some things I should consider buying for the observatory?
Mouse traps. Lots of mouse traps. ;^)

From: Eric Claeys <AstroEric@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Aug 19, 2020 7:16 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Equipment for an observatory

My new observatory in NM is almost ready and I hope to drive there in October with my equipment to set it up.  I have a mount (1100GTO-AEL) and telescope, plus a PC/monitor to control it remotely, and will have Internet access as well as a couple cameras to look at the inside of the observatory.  It has a rain sensor and THUM, and is next to NM Skies so I can use their all-sky camera.  It's a roll-off roof and at 7000 ft so doesn't need air conditioning or a fan.  I will have some plastic bins for empty boxes and other stuff (to keep it dry in case of dew or rain).  I have a power surge protector, UPS, and remote power switch.  I will likely only visit once or twice a year.  I will most likely keep the equipment on all the time.
I will connect to the mount via RS232 (the new PC actually has an RS232 port!) and Ethernet when possible, otherwise USB.

What are some things I should consider buying for the observatory?  Chair, broom, step stool, basic tools, other astronomy gear, etc.?