Re: Equipment for an observatory

Benoit Schillings

Rat killing equipment and stainless braided hoses for the cables.

-- benoit

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 5:16 PM Eric Claeys <AstroEric@eccssw.com> wrote:

My new observatory in NM is almost ready and I hope to drive there in October with my equipment to set it up. I have a mount (1100GTO-AEL) and telescope, plus a PC/monitor to control it remotely, and will have Internet access as well as a couple cameras to look at the inside of the observatory. It has a rain sensor and THUM, and is next to NM Skies so I can use their all-sky camera. It's a roll-off roof and at 7000 ft so doesn't need air conditioning or a fan. I will have some plastic bins for empty boxes and other stuff (to keep it dry in case of dew or rain). I have a power surge protector, UPS, and remote power switch. I will likely only visit once or twice a year. I will most likely keep the equipment on all the time.
I will connect to the mount via RS232 (the new PC actually has an RS232 port!) and Ethernet when possible, otherwise USB.

What are some things I should consider buying for the observatory? Chair, broom, step stool, basic tools, other astronomy gear, etc.?