Re: Delrin plugs

Michael Dolenga

I did replace the plugs a year or two ago when re-lubricating the mount. I'm not sure what they were made of, but the lack of free motion when the clutches are loose suggests they have deformed.

Michael

On Monday, August 10, 2020, 12:14:17 PM PDT, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

FWIW, Delrin doesn't deform easily under pressure. Teflon does.

IIRC, AP has kits to replace old Teflon plugs with Delrin.

If you have Delrin plugs, you are fine.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020, 9:05 AM eja24601 via groups.io <eja24601=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Same thing happened to me this year with my AP1200GTO. On the DEC axis, specifically. I've been assured by the helpful folk at AP that precise balancing is not necessary.

Here's the link to the replacement kit:
https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/clutch-plug-replacement.pdf

For now, I've decided to live with this, as I'm concerned that anything I do might cause more harm than good. I've been assured that if I really wanted it done, that I can ship the affected part to AP and they will be more than happy to perform the replacement. At cost, of course (unless this is part of warranty service and the mount is under warranty <G>; I can't speak for AP on that).

HTH,
Eric