Re: Tracking issues with AP900

Charles Thompson

Maybe something got bumped... I've done it unknowingly.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

-------- Original message --------
From: "uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: 8/7/20 6:33 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Tracking issues with AP900

When I did my drift alignment with a high power illuminated eyepiece in the imaging scope I had zero drift in both axis for 7 minutes.
You did drift alignment for 7 minutes with no drift. So theoretically you should be able to attach a camera and get zero drift with the camera, and thus by definition you will get perfectly round stars in a 7 minute exposure. So, where is the problem?

Basically there is no information in your response below.
Where was the drift alignment done where you got 7 minutes without any drift?
Was drift alignment not done in the south? That is where drift alignment is normally done, scope pointing due south near the meridian.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Aug 7, 2020 3:08 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Tracking issues with AP900

Hi Rolando,

Really appreciate the effort to help. Just as a backdrop, I have been doing astrophotography and drift alignment for 12+ years. 
When I did my drift alignment with a high power illuminated eyepiece in the imaging scope I had zero drift in both axis for 7 minutes. This is why I do not believe this has anything to do with polar alignment. Even with poor polar alignment an AP900 should be able to track stars well without auto-guiding for several minutes. 
I am able to get that performance in any direction I point with the exception of pointing south. There it seems to be unable to track for even 30 seconds without drifting in both RA and DEC. 

Which is why i suspect - balance, flexure, mirror flop or something wrong with the mount itself.

Hope this is more complete info.

Thanks
Chanan

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.