Re: large alignment error with polemaster & mach2

Robert Chozick

What degree of polar alignment do most find workable?  I find that Polemaster gets me from 30 arc seconds to one arc minute polar alignment.  Shouldn’t 1 arc minute be sufficient for guiding in most cases?

Robert

On Aug 1, 2020, at 5:53 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Here is some more information:

Note, this covers only the RA drift rate. Dec drift will also always be there no matter how you polar align.

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Aug 1, 2020 5:51 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] large alignment error with polemaster & mach2

The RA tracking rate can vary anywhere from 35 to 70 arc seconds per hour (0.6 to 1.5 arc sec per minute) between the zenith and +- 3 hours from the zenith. The rate of drift is not linear. Modeling creates a drift curve for each point in the sky over the modeled track. The link below can tell you the actual tracking rate for different points in the sky:

These are approximate and depend on perfect polar alignment and not scope flex. In reality the drift can be worse if everything is not perfect. The calculations cover only the atmospheric refraction at nominal temperature and pressure.