locked Re: [ap-ug] To mask or not to mask, that is the question

Mike Shade

To add, data from 3M "Respiratory Protection for Airborne Exposures to Biohazards, Technical Data Bulletin Release 5, June 2020 #174" and "Respirators and Surgical Masks: A Comparison  Technical Bulletin May, 2020 Revision 4" offers that a standard surgical mask is not considered reliable protection from respiratory infections.  They do not filter the virus and they do not fit the face properly with gaps around the nose.  Additionally, they are designed to be used in a sterile field like an operating room.  They might help with "big chunks" from coughing and sneezing, but not for virus "floating" in the air, or airborne transmission  Of course a bandanna or some such is about useless.  They do offer than an N95 respirator will filter adequately.  Also, OSHA publication "Hospital Respiratory Protection Program Toolkit Resources for Respirator Program Administrators, May 2015" offers the same conclusions in regards to surgical masks and respirators.

Mike J. Shade

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution