Re: Planet Tracking and Imaging #APCC #Mach2GTO

Roland Christen

The keypad always had the latest data for planets.
Where it was lacking was in the data for stars which lacked the extra decimal points for the highest precision and also lacked calculations for precession.

From: Greg Vaughn <gregvaughn@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Aug 1, 2020 4:08 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Planet Tracking and Imaging

Thanks, Roland.

I’ve been watching Christopher Go post his images over the years and have regarded them with a great deal of envy.

From a presentation he gave for Woodland Hills, it seems he uses an LRGB approach with a monochrome camera and registers everything using WinJUPOS, which I haven’t used yet.   But when you add up 30 sec for each filter and recognize he takes several groups, it ends up being a healthy amount of time.  (I should probably send this question to him!)

However, I thought I had remembered comments posted (by you?) about the planetarium program in the keypad not being quite up to snuff with the latest data for planets. I think it was one of the items that was to be upgraded in the new firmware/software.  My question for Ray was whether uploading ephemeris data for the planets would provide a measurable improvement in the pointing and tracking of the planets at long focal lengths.   And, as a bonus question, how did this play with the APPM modeling – which I believe is principally focused on star pointing and tracking.

You can tell we have bad weather here, or otherwise I’d be out there answering these question for myself with some theory to practice evolutions.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and thoughts!

Best wishes for good health and clear skies!

Cheers,
Greg

p.s.   I do believe all of my planet imaging issues would be solved with an AP 10” Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope!  I’m sure that that last one in the photos you posted, Roland, has my name on it.  I think, however, during the pandemic you all at AP may have just lost my email and snail mail addresses and misplaced my phone number.  I’m patiently standing by! J J   To be fair, I’m delighted to have received a Mach 2 and have my hands full (when the skies are clear).