Re: large alignment error with polemaster & mach2

Roland Christen

The Rapas will require you to drift align the mount for the first time. Then you adjust the Rapas precisely using the 3 push-pull screws. From then on you can get good polar alignment using the pole scope without having to do any other alignment.

From: Andrea Lucchetti <andlucchett@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Aug 1, 2020 7:51 am
Subject: [ap-gto] large alignment error with polemaster & mach2

Hello,
I need to polar align my Mach 2 very quickly to save time on field.
I thought Polemaster would have been a good choice but I cant get a good alignment with it (I am ways off)
The procedure goes very well, till the end, including the precise alignment step, but I have drift in my images.
running the Polemaster twice results in a small change.

I am not using the refraction calculation , as I leave at 42 deg latitude: can this be one of the reason?

my aim is to shoot 10 min subs unguided (@790mm focal and 1,6 arcsec/pixel resolution).

I still don't have my OTA ready so it is difficult for me to check with the drift method for the time being ( I can borrow a dslr and C8)

Would the RAPAS be a better solution for my needs?
I understand it can be mounted on the MACH2 using a dovetail, with repeatable accuracy.
Is the accuracy enough for imaging and how it compares to Polemaster?

Thank you,
Andrea