Re: large alignment error with polemaster & mach2

Cheng-Yang Tan

PS, if you plan to use a guide scope rather than run unguided, SC works with your guide scope. And with higher magnification than the PM scope, SC should give an even better PA.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, August 1, 2020, 8:18 AM, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...> wrote:

I’d suggest trying Sharpcap with the Polemaster camera. I’ve always found Sharpcap gives a better PA than the Polemaster software. An advantage of SC is that it gives an alignment error when you are adjusting alt and az which is absent in PM software.

Unfortunately, SC polar alignment costs $ and is an annual subscription, but it’s cheap.

As usual YMMV

cytan

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, August 1, 2020, 7:51 AM, Andrea Lucchetti <andlucchett@...> wrote:

Hello,
I need to polar align my Mach 2 very quickly to save time on field.
I thought Polemaster would have been a good choice but I cant get a good alignment with it (I am ways off)
The procedure goes very well, till the end, including the precise alignment step, but I have drift in my images.
running the Polemaster twice results in a small change.

I am not using the refraction calculation , as I leave at 42 deg latitude: can this be one of the reason?

my aim is to shoot 10 min subs unguided (@790mm focal and 1,6 arcsec/pixel resolution).

I still don't have my OTA ready so it is difficult for me to check with the drift method for the time being ( I can borrow a dslr and C8)

Would the RAPAS be a better solution for my needs?
I understand it can be mounted on the MACH2 using a dovetail, with repeatable accuracy.
Is the accuracy enough for imaging and how it compares to Polemaster?

Thank you,
Andrea