Re: MACH1 GTO Merdian Flip #Keypad

Roland Christen

Whenever the keypad is set to EXT mode, it is advisable to always use the external app to control the mount, and that includes setting Meridian delay. In EXT you are initializing the mount via an external app and should always use that app for any setup commands, NOT the keypad. Don't use the keypad for anything other than moving around via the buttons or sending the mount to a star or object from the keypad Objects menu.

When you use EXT mode, you are defining the external app to be the main controlling element, and the keypad is then secondary.

From: Howard Hedlund <howard@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Jul 23, 2020 2:36 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] MACH1 GTO Merdian Flip #Keypad

Hi Ken,

I’m pretty sure I know exactly what is wrong.  The keypad performs the meridian delay by “fooling” the clock in the GTOCPx control box.   The driver is probably undoing the keypad’s clock fooling commands.

There are two solutions.  Each will work, but I don’t advise mixing them.  Choose one and use that method exclusively.

1.       In the driver, Uncheck the boxes to “…keep mount time synced to PC time (recommended)”  That may not be a perfect quote.  Then you can do meridian delay with the keypad.  Just be sure to undo it with the keypad as well.
2.       Set meridian delay in the driver instead of the keypad.  You can then still use the keypad for your GoTo.

The next major keypad version will use the same method as the driver for meridian delay, so the problem will go away.

Mag. 7 Skies!

Howard Hedlund
Astro-Physics, Inc.
Phone: 815-315-7015

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.