Re: NGC6960

Michael Hamburg

Great shot!

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:46 PM, Stuart
<stuart.j.heggie@...> wrote:
Nice work Mike! Big target - you did well to squeeze it in!

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 13:45, Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:
I've long been attracted to the Veil Nebula, but never could image
NGC6960, The Witch's Broom, because my old ST-8 CCD camera bloomed the
bright star. But my current ASI1600MCP one-shot color CMOS camera
doesn't bloom, so now this target is in play.

Recently I managed to acquire nearly 5 hours of data over three rare
clear nights, and hope to get another 3-4 hours when the sky clears
again. Here's what I have so far:
<http://astronomy.mdodd.com/nebulae-17.html>

I rotated the camera to capture as much of the "broom" as possible on
the sensor, corner-to-corner. I never knew there was so much faint H-a
nebulosity close-by. Maybe additional data will reveal more.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

TMB-130SS APO @ f/7 on an AP1200.

--- Mike
http://astronomy.mdodd.com