Re: Tracking w/ Passil 4 polar alignment

Roland Christen

I setup and aligned on Polaris and second star.
That routine is not good enough for polar alignment for imaging. You will either need to use a polar scope or other precision polar align method. You will also need to have a good PE correction curve loaded and turned on in order to get good RA tracking.

From: Wiggins, Rick <rickwiggins@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jul 21, 2020 11:06 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Tracking w/ Passil 4 polar alignment

Hi group,
Would someone comment on the Mach1 tracking capability with only visual polar alignment using the PASILL4.
I setup and aligned on Polaris and second star. I was using Cassidy double bar with two cameras on either side of the mount center. My 400mm lens and Canon RA were used to capture images. I got about 30% smearing of the stars at 25 sec exposures. I seem to recall doing better than this in the past; however, I’m usually using autoguider, so I’m not sure what I should expect. Thanks for any input.
Rick