Re: Can't connect to mount

Woody Schlom

Strange.  I’ve never had my computer just randomly change a COM port assignment unless I plugged into a different USB port.  In fact, I’ve labeled my main astronomy equipment USB port (that goes with the same USB hub) so I don’t accidentally forget which one goes with which adapter.  And in 6 years now with this particular laptop, the COM port associated with that USB port and my #1 FTDI serial to USB adapter has never changed.  And that’s through all the Win-7 updates and Win-10 updates.  My laptop recognizes my #2 FTDI adapter as a different one – and so it has a different COM port assignment.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 6:22 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Can't connect to mount

My Windows laptop constantly changes the com port that is available for the mount. Time and again I get Mount Not Found when trying to open a planetarium app. It's easy to fix. I simply open Device Manager, check to see what Com port is available. Then I open the ASCOM Telescope setup window, set it for the available com port and check to see if it connects. That's it, and it works every time.