Re: understanding how to set meridian limits for AP MAch 2 #APCC #Mach2GTO

On 7/19/2020 9:29 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:
You can set the meridian delay on the Meridian tab

I've been struggling with the same understanding problems as Andrea. It might help to have some definitions handy.

What exactly is a "meridian delay?"

Suppose I start imaging an object 30 minutes before it crosses the meridian. Is this delay the amount of time the mount will wait before flipping? That's what "meridian delay" sounds like.

Why is the number in your example picture negative? Shouldn't it delay the meridian flip by a positive number of hours?

What if I want to start imaging with counterweight up, and let it track into the west as it crosses the meridian? How do I do that?

These terms have very specific meanings, and I'm struggling to attach precise definitions to them. I apologize for that.

(Probably a different topic.) On my mounts there are certain positions near the zenith where the long AP180 will crash the camera into one of the pier struts, and I'd love to find a way to prevent that from happening. I also haven't figured out a procedure for making those nice horizon maps that you have in that example.

I'm sure this is all in the documentation, so I'll go hunt there. "How to build a map of forbidden zones" or "how to map your obstructed horizon." If you have pointers they'd be welcome. :)

Best regards,
Mojo