Re: Of Mice and Mounts

W Hilmo

I use a TG365.

I’m using a C8 for imaging, but I bought an oversized one, meant for a Dobsonian.  That way, it covers everything, all the way down to the ground.  To keep the humidity under control, I have two Goldenrod heaters (designed for a gun safe) under the cover near the bottom of the mount.  It works very well, but with one caution.  If I leave the OTA mounted, and the OTA makes direct contact with the underside of the TG365 cover, heat from inside the OTA can escape out the top of the cover.  In very cold weather, this can cause extensive moisture inside the scope.  To prevent that, I have a towel folded in many layers over the top of the scope.  That way, the towels insulate the OTA from the under side of the top of the cover.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Dolenga via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 9:20 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Of Mice and Mounts

Hi Wade, what covering did you use? I think I'm a couple of miles as the crow flies from your location. Now that someone is always home due to COVID, I've used a simple nylon tarp for about a week and just left the rig setup. What a pleasure not having to setup from scratch every session, I can only imagine how heavenly it would be to have a permanent setup.

Anyway, the rope fastened nylon tarp doesn't seem ideal for the long run, so any suggestions for a different material would be appreciated.

Michael

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 4:28 PM, W Hilmo

<y.groups@...> wrote:

A couple of years ago, I broke down my AP1100 after it had been set up in the yard for a few months and covered when not in use.  Some enterprising creature had completely filled the inside of the mount with maple seeds.  No harm was done and all I needed to do was to separate the mount halves and lightly blow out the stuff that didn’t just fall out.

There was no evidence of a nest, just a food storehouse.