From: Michael Dolenga via groups.io <giroditalia@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jul 18, 2020 11:27 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mount coordinates change while autoguiding

You do need to recalibrate after flipping to account for orthogonality errors. And you'd have to slew to the same coordinates reported by the mount just before you flip, which differ from the target. It's not really an issue once you understand what is happening, and luckily the software I'm using, NINA, does a plate solve after flipping and re-slews, if necessary, to your original target coordinates which it has preserved. I raise the question because until I understood how NINA worked, I thought the drift on the mount was problematic.

When I was doing flips manually, I would calibrate before flipping to reset the mount's coordinates to match my target, as Ray suggested.

Btw, is a 1 minute DEC drift over 1 hour at a declination of about 40 degrees good/bad? 1850 mm scope. Polar aligned using RAPAS.

Michael

On Saturday, July 18, 2020, 09:06:43 AM PDT, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The meridian flip automation i use includes a re-centering of the target via plate solve, which I think is pretty common
When you are autoguiding the target is always centered so no plate solve is needed. Because of the guide commands, the internal co-ordinates slowly drift, so at the end of the session you simply do a recal which brings the actual and commanded co-ordinates back together.