From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Dolenga via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2020 8:02 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mount coordinates change while autoguiding

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the explanation. It seems like undesirable behaviour, however. You autoguide because the mount
is an imperfect mechanical device and you want to keep pointing at precisely the same location in the sky,
which is defined by particular coordinates. The autoguider keeps you there, meaning that the mount remains
pointed to those coordinates. I would expect them to stay where they are.

Is there a way to configure the mount to not update its coordinates when receiving an autoguiding pulse? My
firmware is too old for APCC anyway, and the expense isn't worth this particular problem.

Michael

On Saturday, July 18, 2020, 07:47:00 AM PDT, Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> wrote:

Hi Michael,

Is this expected behavior or am I possibly missing some configuration option? It seems as though the
autoguider commands are being interpreted as user initiated slews.
What you are seeing is changing pointing error in your scope as it is autoguided.

The amount of pointing error can be drastically reduced by using a pointing model (e.g. APCC Pro).

This confounds automated meridian flips because the mount "thinks" it is pointed somewhere other than
where
it actually is. Often, the difference is too slight to be significance, but sometimes not.
This is incorrect. The mount's internal flip position does not change. However the actual time and position
when the flip occurs may dynamically change. If software is monitoring the mount's position this should not
be a problem.

-Ray Gralak