Re: PlateSolve2 vs. TheSkyX Image Link for APPM Point Mapping

Joseph Beyer

Interesting, I’ve used SGP/Platesolve2 with APPM about a dozen times and it’s worked without a hitch.  Last week I set up, started the sequence, it solved a about 8-10 images then failed.  Same equipment, same profile used in all previous runs.

SGP v3.1.0.479
Windows 10 Home v1909
APCC-Pro v1.8.2.1

I restarted a couple times after double checking all the parameters but at some point(s) during the run, even late in the run after solving 40 or so points PlateSolve2 would stop doing immediate solves and enter a spiral search mode. APPM also indicated AllSky plate solver had been activated several times but I’m not sure if it was concurrent with the PS2 spiral searches.  It seems likely though. After restarting several times I just let the process continue however long it took. On several occasions when PlateSolve2 was still in spiral search mode, APPM would register a successful solve and move to the next point.

I finally got the point map completed but it took a long time.

Joe

On Jun 28, 2020, at 8:32 AM, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:

After three sessions of working without a hitch, PlateSolve2 stopped plate solving for me when I was trying to do an APPM point mapping run.

In retrospect it was probably because I didn't open up the correct SGP profile which I created when going through Ray's setup instructions in the APPM documentation.  I remember selecting and loading one of my preexisting narrowband profiles at some point.  The control panel did show PlateSolve2 as the plate solver for the profile that I had loaded.  I got a couple of good plate solves and then nothing...  after an hour of trying in the dark, I gave up and got out the guide scope..

I can't even get it to do a plate solve here at home now using the test button on APPM after several tries of deleting SGP profiles and re-doing the setup as per the APPM documentation.

PlateSolve2 worked great... when it worked.  Maybe there is a better way which doesn't involve SGP and PS2.

I have TheSkyX...

For those who have tried both, do you find that TheSkyX's Image Link works well with APPM?

So, the last image of this month was via guiding.  As usual, the Mach2 guides great.

Here is a link to a wide field image of the Sharpless 2-101 area in h-alpha: https://www.astrobin.com/full/5szx79/0/

All of those pesky foreground field stars block all of the nice stuff going on in the background.  Here is a link to a starless version hich shows the emission nebula and the several dark nebula in the background:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/5szx79/B/
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/