Re: APCC Feature Request: Sync time from GPS?

Dale Ghent

You can use a utility called GPSTime to update the system clock after booting but before starting APCC.

Because your USB GPS device is accessed via COM port, and COM port access is exclusive to 1 application at a time, you cannot have GPSTime and APCC using the GPS at the same time, but this will get you an accurate sync.

If you don't need to have APCC connected to the GPS device all the time, you can continue to run GPSTime in the background and it'll continuously keep the computer's clock in sync with the NMEA time sentences coming off the GPS.

Excuse the garish web design:
https://www.coaa.co.uk/gpstime.htm

/dale

On Jun 25, 2020, at 8:24 PM, W Hilmo <y.groups@hilmo.net> wrote:

Hello,

I just got back from a trip to a dark sky site, and I have a feature request:

Would it be possible to add a button to the GPS tab in APCC to sync the computer to the GSP time? My scenario is that I am setting up at a remote site, without any cell or internet connectivity. I always set up during the day and do a daytime polar alignment. The daytime polar alignment wants very accurate location and time information. The location information is easy. I have a USB GPS receiver and APCC can read it and create a new site based on the current location. To get an accurate time, though, I'm pretty much manually correcting the time in the computer based on my watch (which syncs nightly to an atomic time source). Since the computer is dedicated to use with the imaging setup, it's often been powered off long enough for its real time clock to drift. At home, it's no big deal because it syncs with an internet time source almost immediately after booting. In the field, though, it would make things easier to be able to automatically update the time from the GPS.

Thanks,
-Wade