Re: Mach2 power consumption #Mach2GTO

Terri Zittritsch

Edited

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 07:37 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
The DC connector on the CP5 is a round 2 pin Hirose connector. You received a power supply cord with Hirose connector on one end and power poles on the other. The 24 volt AC-DC supply that came with the mount plugs right into that power cable, and yes it does so using the Anderson power poles. However, the Anderson power poles DO NOT connect to the CP5.

Please do not use that power supply to power anything else while plugged into the Mach2 CP5 controller. It is 24 volts and can fry your other electronic devices.

We supplied you with the power cord that has one end with Anderson power pole connectors so that you have the option of using your CP5 with other power supplies including batteries in the field where the AC-DC power supply would not be useful. You can use any 12 to 24 volt DC battery supply to operate your mount in the field. We did these connectors that way so that you have flexibility.

Thanks Roland, I understand the applicability of 24V DC vs. 12V DC, thanks.    I didn't realize the CP5 connector on the box is called a Hirose connector.  It's probably mentioned somewhere in your documentation and it just didn't stick with me.   I was thinking of the connection at the end of the power cord.   It is convenient to use the power-poles.   This is the first time I've used them and now updating the clubs telescope equipment after doing my other 12v astronomy gear..   As long as everything is the same voltage, it makes things very convenient and no-fault.    To avoid confusion, maybe put some kind of flag-tag at the end that says 24V - Mount only.      You almost want CP5 box power cord for 12V (normal power-poles) and then a separate connector type for 24V that fits the 24V supply only.    Or a dual headed connector on the CP5 cord (which I never like).    When I'm setting up both supples are usually right next to each other on my table, and even though the cords are different, something in my brain forces me to feel my way back to the supply to figure out which is which.   I think I'll label mine..

Terri