Re: Old Keypad Repair/Refurbishing

Joe Zeglinski

Dean,

You may be able to fix keypad buttons which are no longer working,  by simply “washing the back of the keypad membrane” with dish soap, and finishing up with Isopropyl.

I have fixed several TV Remote’s  and cordless phones, suffering from some  sticky key positions, over the years.
The carbon coated circuit board contact points (in the rubber) under each key position eventually gets so oily, from the rubber pad’s gradually leaching out its remaining, imbedded  “mould release agent”, that the entire circuit board’s, printed circuit copper contacts get coated, and you are pressing down on a film of oil. Then the  key doesn’t close its corresponding circuit. The most heavily used numbers or function keys on any hand controller  exude the most oil under them, from such continual pressing, and eventually the entire circuit board copper contacts under them,  become quite slimy.

So, the best time to fix sticky buttons is when you have the Handpad open for a battery change. Examine or touch the circuit board to check the “oily level”.

If there seems to be any, then I would (carefully) slip out the keypad membrane from it top cover and give it a good  basin-wash with something like DOVE pure dish soap which we use for telescope mirrors, That will also wash away years or decades of dirty fingerprints and dust on the membrane top surface, causing keys to stick to the similarly dirty hole edges.

Finish up with Isopropanol alcohol (99% pure is best) to clean-up of any remaining soap residue, and pat dry the circuit board and the membrane’s underside, before replacing. Then the button(s) should make better contact closures to the circuit pad position.

Haven’t done this on my two AP Handpads yet, because I use them so rarely that they haven’t squeezed out much oily agent yet,  but have done the fix on similar device hand controllers around the house.
Perhaps Roland can chime in on my repair method for balky HC’s.

Hope this helps.
Joe Z.

Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2020 10:46 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Old Keypad Repair/Refurbishing

I am wondering to what extent the fine folks at Astro-Physics can refurbish older model keypads.

I have an older one that I got in 2005 with my 1200GTO, the serial number is 1652GTO.

Two years ago various buttons started getting flaky so I though it would be nice to get a new keypad as my primary keypad and I put this one in the box as a backup.

Now I am getting my AP900 ready to sell and I was going to include the old keypad in the bundle if I can get it working right.

I have replaced the battery and reloaded the battery, re-loaded the database and have uploaded the latest firmware.  However, the keypad sometimes locks up on initialization as I am trying to enter in location and park position data.  Maybe this is because of the buttons not working properly or something is wrong with the new firmware.

Is this keypad a lost cause because it just doesn't have the horsepower to run the latest firmware or can a new button module be fitted and the keypad be revived? 
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Image Gallery - http://astrophoto.net/wp/image-gallery/
Astrobin - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.