Re: What's the effect of imaging through jet stream?

Mike Shade

Consistent problems suggest hardware problems, polar alignment, PEC curve issues, flexure, poor guiding parameters, this sort of thing in that they impact everything consistently.  Unusual or rare problems like you are sharing suggest transient issues the most likely being seeing.  I work with a 17" telescope at .63"/pixel, I know how seeing can ruin things.  If the system returns consistent results and then all of a sudden doesn't, first thought is seeing.  The fact that your stars were not messed up in one consistent direction is a clue.  I did have a time where my images were horrible all of a sudden and then get good.  Finally went out and found a rather large owl sitting on the edge of the telescope upper ring.  Luckily there was no deposit on the primary mirror.

There are numerous reference on the impact of seeing and how professionals monitor and search for sites with good seeing.

Mike J. Shade

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution