Re: Unguided with pointing model

I'll be spending my next few days surfing the PHD2 forum. Thanks Brian  :)

On 5/28/20 7:02 PM, Brian Valente wrote:
Hi Mojo

We're not so far apart on our setups:

i have an OAG with Lodestar that is 752 x 582 8.4u @840mm focal length

Your camera has the TC-237 tracking CCD (657 x 495 pixels at 7.4u)  @ 1620mm focal length

yes of course you're imaging at 2x focal length (yes i'm jealous :) ) but PHD also has noise reduction, star saturation detection, minimum star size, etc. to eliminate erroneous star selection. might be worth a visit to PHD forums?

i'll stop on this now haha

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 4:01 PM Mojo Jones <mojo@...> wrote:
Thanks for chiming in Brian! I'm sure much of my difficulty comes from using the built-in off-axis guide camera on my ST-4000XCM, so I don't have the privilege of a wider-field guide scope. Quite often this past week I haven't had a wide enough field to find a bright enough star to peek up above the sky glow. PHD2 presents a gnarly grey noisy field, and "auto select" latches onto something that's often not a star at all.

I'd love to tweak PHD2 so it doesn't latch onto non-stars. I built a bad pixel map.

On 5/28/2020 12:58 PM, Brian Valente wrote:
Hi Mojo

>>>My biggest bugaboo in these skies is finding a suitable guide star. PHD2 will lock onto any clump of noise and hunt around the sky trying to guide on it.

I'm not sure what issue you are having, but i image in the san fernando valley (the worst) and i have no problems finding guidestars, even with a simple lodestar x2. PHD has a number of techniques and filters to rule out non-stars for star selection, so i'm surprised you are having these kinds of issues

you might consider posting your logs to the PHD forums for feedback?

Brian

--
Brian

Brian Valente