Re: Mach2 Unguided testing continues

>>> In your SGP equipment profile, change it from PHD to Direct Mount Guider. Configure how much you want to dither and set your settling time and you should be good to go. You can dither but no need for guiding.

i've used Direct Mount for unguided and it works great for dithering. you don't even need PHD at that point

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 9:28 AM Linda Thomas <linda@...> wrote:
Dean,

In your SGP equipment profile, change it from PHD to Direct Mount Guider. Configure how much you want to dither and set your settling time and you should be good to go. You can dither but no need for guiding.

Linda

On May 28, 2020, at 12:17 PM, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 08:08 AM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
You can dither all you want. That does not affect the custom rates that are calculated and applied to follow the actual sky motion above you.
Think of it this way: If you have Sidereal rate set, but it is slightly too fast and causes stars to streak in a time exposure, you could theoretically slow the rate down so that it matches the motion of the stars that you are imaging. Dither moves the next frame over a few pixels but does not change that tracking rate that you have set. The next exposure will still have round stars but they will be offset slightly from the previous one. That's how dither works - it has nothing to do with the tracking rate.

Rolando
 Sure, no problem, I am up to speed with you on that.  It is the implementation with the image capture software that I haven't got a handle on yet.  PHD2 and SGP coordinate to dither between images based on the parameters that I dial in.  So, will SGP implement a random "dither" movement of the frame on its own without having PHD2 actually guiding?  That I don't know yet.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Brian