Re: Mach2 Unguided testing continues

Roland Christen

So, will SGP implement a random "dither" movement of the frame on its own without having PHD2 actually guiding?
Why not? You can effectively turn guiding off in PHD by dialing in a large MinMove such as 20. Then basically the mount gets no guide corrections and can merrily track at the custom rate without interruption.

From: Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 28, 2020 11:17 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach2 Unguided testing continues

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 08:08 AM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
You can dither all you want. That does not affect the custom rates that are calculated and applied to follow the actual sky motion above you.
Think of it this way: If you have Sidereal rate set, but it is slightly too fast and causes stars to streak in a time exposure, you could theoretically slow the rate down so that it matches the motion of the stars that you are imaging. Dither moves the next frame over a few pixels but does not change that tracking rate that you have set. The next exposure will still have round stars but they will be offset slightly from the previous one. That's how dither works - it has nothing to do with the tracking rate.

Rolando
 Sure, no problem, I am up to speed with you on that.  It is the implementation with the image capture software that I haven't got a handle on yet.  PHD2 and SGP coordinate to dither between images based on the parameters that I dial in.  So, will SGP implement a random "dither" movement of the frame on its own without having PHD2 actually guiding?  That I don't know yet.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/