Re: pointing Polaris

Frank Widmann

A go to is not the same as an alt/az pointing that you would use to line up a polar scope in the center of the RA axis on a mount. In a go to the Declination of Polaris is 89 degrees 20 minutes, so the declination axis is rotated to move the scope so that it’s within 8 minutes of being aligned with the RA axis of the mount, essentially pointing north. The rotational position of the RA axis is determined by angular distance (hour angle) of the target from the current meridian. The RA axis is rotated to move the scope the angular distance equal to the hour angle. If Polaris is currently over 90 degrees from the current meridian, you will be in a counterweights up position. Don’t try this at home. It can cause a pier collision.

Frank

On May 26, 2020, at 10:17 AM, Peter Bresler via groups.io <PABresler@...> wrote:

I was trying to point at Polaris with my Mach1 to collimate my scope. I put the coordinates in SGP and the mount did crazy stuff...counterweight up, and got out of sync. How do you do that?