Re: Advice needed: I can rock RA in Mach1GTO (very small), should I adjust?

Roland Christen

You can tighten that nut without causing any problems. The bearings will take up to 15 inch-lb of torque. Heavy vibration during shipping might loosen the nut. Put a dab of RTV at the periphery of the nut to keep it from loosening.

From: Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, May 19, 2020 5:59 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Advice needed: I can rock RA in Mach1GTO (very small), should I adjust?

Hi guys,
   I did what Rolando posted in the instructions below. I could actually turn the nut by 1/4 turn! I didn't have a spanner wrench and so I made a fixture to fit into the two holes. I first tightened using just my fingers and then used a pair of pliers to do the final tightening. I  don't think I had a lot of leverage and so I don't think I overtightened the nut. However, if I did, can overtightening cause problems?

  Even after tightening the nut, there was still a small RA play, I think < 10 mils that I both feel and see. George then asked me to adjust the backstop. And voila, the RA play disappeared.

  It's fixed now (unless I managed to screw up something else) but I am really surprised that I could turn the nut by 1/4 turn.

  Thanks to everybody who posted here, Rolando and George.

cytan

On Sunday, May 17, 2020, 03:28:09 PM CDT, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Thank you for posting that.