From: Craig Young <craig.young.m8@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, May 6, 2020 4:32 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Adjust CP4 Clock Frequency

The ATrack design is very similar to DONUTS, introduced in 2013: https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/670940?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

For high precision photometry it is very important that the image remain centered on the same pixel over the cadence run of several hours.  Dithering is not used.  Given that there can be random drift corrections during the run, the accumulated error can move the target off a pixel, which is why careful re-centering is required in addition to drift correction.

I will find a more precise method for measuring the actual sidereal tracking rate of the mount instead of using a piece of tape, which is not precise enough to yield the metric needed to correct it.  I still don't see why reporting the pulse count from the encoder is proprietary.  I can see "what you do with the pulses in an algorithm" would be proprietary but I don't see why reporting the pulse count is proprietary.  I will find another way then.

Craig