Re: need learning aids for astrophoto

Worsel

I agree with Mike that a DSLR is a good option to consider.  I would offer a different take on the following.

2. IMO a DSLR is a good choice if you're just starting out. But I think buying a cooled CMOS astronomy camera is a better choice if your budget allows. Consider:

A) A CMOS camera is powered from the USB (usually USB 3.0) cable, not from an internal battery that might not last through an imaging session.

I power my DSLRs with the AC adapter, not a battery.  This works in an observatory, off 120VAC (mains) or the field, if you have a large capacity (amp-hours) battery and inverter

B) A cooled CMOS camera has lower noise than an uncooled DSLR.

Some of the newer DSLRs have very low noise.  Read up on the new Canon Ra, about which Sky& Telescope and Astronomy are raving.  That said, the cooling available in many astro cameras is an advantage.

C) ZWO offers an off-axis guider (OAG) that mounts in between the OTA and the imaging camera. A small lightweight (and inexpensive) camera screws into this OAG. You can easily add autoguiding without needing a separate guide scope and camera. (I use a separate guider for specific reasons related to my imaging goals.)

I image with an Astrodon MOAG, which sits between the camera and the scope, and a DSLR.

Bryan