Re: need learning aids for astrophoto

Don Anderson

Hello Dick
Yes there are a lot of things to consider when getting into (or back into) this hobby. however it can be quite rewarding and mentally stimulating.

When you set your equipment priorities, the mount is the most important, just like the foundation of your house!. Get a good mount. Everything else is secondary. For the scope, you want a reasonably good scope with a solid well made focuser that can carry the weight of you imaging train without sagging or flopping around. If you go with a refractor, try to get an Apochromatic (APO) model. There are lots of well made APOs in the 100mm aperture range on the market for a reasonable price. For cameras, the choices have never been wider. If you choose to go with a dedicated astro camera, there are some great reasonably priced CCD cameras out there. The newer CMOS dedicated cooled cameras are relatively inexpensive, some are less than a good new DSLR and a lot lighter as well. If you go that route, don't try to get one with a really large sensor. Large sensor cameras require a scope with a large image circle and these are really expensive.
Take your time and do your research. There are several astro related blog sites like this one out there where you can get good information and lots of opinions!

Remember to start small and work up.

Just some more food for thought!

Don Anderson

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 09:41:46 a.m. MDT, fastqx . <fastqx@...> wrote:

thanks, all of you who responded to my plea.     yep, i'm overwhelmed.    not just by the tsunami of new issues to think about, but also by everyone's kindness and generosity.       one day i hope to be less overwhelmed, but i'll always be grateful.

dick fast
atlin bc

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 8:33 AM Geof Lewis <geoflewis@...> wrote:
Don,
Thanks for pointing out my error, I should have read the original post. Yes, a 12" will make the difficulties that I experienced with my 10" Meade all the more challenging, but I believe that it is still possible, just probably not from where you'd want to start...
Regards, Geof