From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...>
Sent: 05 May 2020 01:04
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] need learning aids for astrophoto

Hi Dick,
   I'm not sure that an old 10" LX200 OTA is the correct scope to start with for astrophotography. Its focal length is too long for a beginner even with a focal reducer. It also has mirror flop which means guiding should be done with an off-axis guider.

   I'd consider a nice f/6 100 mm to 130 mm refractor. AP sells top of the line refractors -- but getting one new will require a long wait.

  IMO, I'd really recommend buying cheaper equipment to see whether you like astrophotography first before sinking in more than $10k to $20k and then discovering you don't really like it.

cytan

On Monday, May 4, 2020, 06:39:19 PM CDT, fastqx . <fastqx@...> wrote:

thanks, charles, for the advice.    i'm a "re"-new watcher, so i appreciate all new comments.

dick fast
atlin

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 4:34 PM Charles Thompson via groups.io <cthomp97=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dick, there is a choice you will have to make up front on cameras. Either one shot color like the ZWO ASI294MC Pro or monochrome with red, green and blue filters like the ASI1600MM. These are the only two I have used personally and they both have pros and cons.

For the mount, I would go with the 1100GTO.  Mach2 is over a year wait if you get on the list now. I have a 10" truss RC and it's a little bit much for the Mach1 as well as an 11" RASA. I ran these on the Mach1 and it did ok but I could tell they would be better suited to the 1100.  You call also get absolute encoders on the 1100 but I have never felt like I needed to use them. This subject could get controversial.

Hopefully that helps some.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.