PHD 2 Guiding "Good Enough"

John Thompson <jbtgolfer@...>

I know this is not a PHD 2 forum but I want to set reasonable expectations of my mount when guiding. Guiding can become an obsession and I want to know when to stop. I have a AP 1600 (no encoders) with a TEC 140 f/7 combined with a STF8300 main camera and an off-axis STi guide camera. I plan to install encoders this summer. I attached a screen shot that shows most of the relevant guiding info from PHD 2. My question is should I be happy with a .23 RMS and a +- .5 arc sec oscillation of the RA. The Dec looks stable and below .5 arc sec. The RA oscillation bothers me a little but perhaps it is "seeing" driven however this is a permanent observatory in a fairly dark site ( 21.6 SQM). I am getting reasonably round stars at 1200 second exposures. I have worked the polar alignment and drift pretty hard. Would appreciate hearing your thoughts or suggestions. I am also posting this to a PHD 2 forum.