Re: Bad images _Bouncing stars

Hi John

i'm a regular contributor in the PHD forums https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/open-phd-guiding

it's difficult to give meaningful input without looking at the guidelogs. I highly recommend capturing a solid baseline guiding and then posting it in the forums there with any questions you may have.

if you don't have a solid baseline, i put a guide together to create one for the PHD forums, you can follow those steps and produce something that is really good for analysis and feedback:

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 4:51 PM John Thompson via groups.io <jbtgolfer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
This is a follow up to my "Bouncing Stars" post. I imaged the next night (with and without guiding) for 1200 sec exposures. The images were fine (round stars) no zig-zag patterns or elongated stars. I did notice a slight oblong effect in the unguided image. Looking at  PHD2 graphics it appears I have some drift in RA that I must correct. All my RA corrections were on the same side of the graph.I believe that signifies an RA drift ? Looking at my PHD2 log from night one I see a frequent occurrence of "guide star lost" either for low SNR or low Star mass. I assume that losing the guide star for long periods means large sudden corrections and the "bouncing" I described. In any case I am attributing the primary cause of the problem to the guiding software either due to a settings error or poor selection of guide star. I will work on a solution with PHD2. Definitely not a mount problem as proved by last nights test. If anyone has a proven set of PHD2 settings i would appreciate getting them.

Thanks for your responses.

--
Brian

Brian Valente