Re: Bad images _Bouncing stars

John Thompson <jbtgolfer@...>

This is a follow up to my "Bouncing Stars" post. I imaged the next night (with and without guiding) for 1200 sec exposures. The images were fine (round stars) no zig-zag patterns or elongated stars. I did notice a slight oblong effect in the unguided image. Looking at  PHD2 graphics it appears I have some drift in RA that I must correct. All my RA corrections were on the same side of the graph.I believe that signifies an RA drift ? Looking at my PHD2 log from night one I see a frequent occurrence of "guide star lost" either for low SNR or low Star mass. I assume that losing the guide star for long periods means large sudden corrections and the "bouncing" I described. In any case I am attributing the primary cause of the problem to the guiding software either due to a settings error or poor selection of guide star. I will work on a solution with PHD2. Definitely not a mount problem as proved by last nights test. If anyone has a proven set of PHD2 settings i would appreciate getting them.

Thanks for your responses.