Re: Mach 2 Best Practice with PC #Mach2GTO

W Hilmo

I have a small form factor PC (a Core i5) installed in an Apache case, along
with a RigRunner, an Ethernet hub and a wireless router. I also have a
Pegasus Astro Ultimate PowerBox V2 mounted to the top dovetail plate on my
OTA. The Ultimate PowerBox runs the focuser and dew heaters, and provides a
USB hub for the main and guide cameras. I have one power cable and one USB
3 cable that run through the AP1600.

I have no cable snags because most of the cabling rides on the OTA and I
have just the two cables running through the mount. For setup and take
down, I have just the above 4 connections to plug in. And when I want to go
portable, I can take the OTA and Apache case along with my AP1100 and use
the same setup.

When I want to image, I carry the Apache case out to the mount and attach
the two through-the-mount cables to the computer. I then attach the
Ethernet and power cables from the CP4. At home, I have the wireless router
configured as a bridge to my how wireless network. In the field, I have the
wireless router configured to run as a hotspot. I run the whole thing by
using Remote Desktop to connect to the computer from a laptop, a tablet, or
another PC, depending on whether I am home or in the field.

This would work great with a Mach2. The only difference would be that I
would use the Mach2's power and USB routing instead of running my own cables
through the mount. I was inspired to change my setup to work like above
after looking at the Mach2 at Advanced Imaging Conference. That was a neat
setup with two refractors mounted side-by-side with an Ultimate PowerBox
between them. Prior to doing it this way, I mounted the PC, the RigRunner,
the wireless router, etc. on a plywood board. I strapped the board to the
pier and ran all the cables through the mount. The way that I'm doing it
now is much cleaner and easier.