From: Mike Shade <mshade@q.com>
Date: 4/30/20 10:53 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Guider exposure times?

Curious as to what people have for guider exposures for various systems.  Was having some issues guiding my 1600/CDK 17/Maxim 5.18/STL6303E (guiding with camera) in that the stars were not always round...almost but not quite, just a few pixels but enough to oblong the stars.  Always had somewhat longer guide exposures (7"-10") to try and even out seeing variations (which can be quite large with a 17" telescope).  The system can go unguided with reasonably round stars for the 382" worm cycle near zenith but guided images were a different story (I do need to guide the system).  So last night lowered the guide exposure to 2", aggressiveness to 5 and round guided stars.  What I think might have been happening is that with a longer guider exposure, there would be centroid changes between exposures and the system was reacting to these.  With a shorter exposure, this is not happening as the "deviation" is not allowed.

So, just curious as to what others have their systems setup for guiding and if my thinking on this makes sense.

Mike J. Shade

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution