Re: Guider exposure times?

Charles Thompson

I use 2 seconds for all my different scope/guidescope configurations in PhD2. I image from an area with considerable light pollution but don't know if that really matters. 

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/30/20 10:53 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Guider exposure times?

Curious as to what people have for guider exposures for various systems.  Was having some issues guiding my 1600/CDK 17/Maxim 5.18/STL6303E (guiding with camera) in that the stars were not always round...almost but not quite, just a few pixels but enough to oblong the stars.  Always had somewhat longer guide exposures (7"-10") to try and even out seeing variations (which can be quite large with a 17" telescope).  The system can go unguided with reasonably round stars for the 382" worm cycle near zenith but guided images were a different story (I do need to guide the system).  So last night lowered the guide exposure to 2", aggressiveness to 5 and round guided stars.  What I think might have been happening is that with a longer guider exposure, there would be centroid changes between exposures and the system was reacting to these.  With a shorter exposure, this is not happening as the "deviation" is not allowed.

So, just curious as to what others have their systems setup for guiding and if my thinking on this makes sense.

Mike J. Shade

Mike J. Shade Photography:

mshadephotography.com

In War: Resolution

In Defeat: Defiance

In Victory: Magnanimity

In Peace: Goodwill

Sir Winston Churchill

Already, in the gathering dusk, a few of the stars are turning on their lights.

Vega, the brightest one, is now dropping towards the west.  Can it be half

a year since I watched her April rising in the east?  Low in the southwest

Antares blinks a sad farwell to fall...

Leslie Peltier, Starlight Nights

International Dark Sky Association: www.darksky.org

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.