Re: Which to Choose; Absolute Encoders or 92 mm Stowaway

Terri Zittritsch

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 05:23 PM, Christopher Erickson wrote:
Personally, I believe that we should...

NEVER GIVE TELESCOPES TO SCHOOLS.

GIVE TELESCOPES TO TEACHERS OR STUDENTS INSTEAD.
I would agree with your comments above, maybe with an additional option that I took.   And this is to donate it a scope to your local library for checking out.   Now it all depends on the size and dedication of the staff at your local library as well as the complexity of the scope.   I recently purchased a 4.5" Star-Blast and performed some modifications as defined by, I think a Canadian club, and donated it to our library.  I  trained some of the staff at an outreach event.  Until covid-19 hit, it was being checked out continuously.  The only problem is that we had one overly-inquisitive person take apart the zoom eyepiece and put a big silver fingerprint on an internal lens,  which required me to take it apart and clean it.   Other than this, it's gone well.    Not sure this kind of program could apply to something as complex as an A-P equatorial mount and scope.

Terri