Re: Which to Choose; Absolute Encoders or 92 mm Stowaway

Woody Schlom

Very well put.  And so true.  My Mach1 gets heavier every year.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stelios via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 1:33 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Which to Choose; Absolute Encoders or 92 mm Stowaway

You ask if it would be worthwhile to split the Mach2 into two parts...

For me, absolutely. The main reason that (then) I chose the Mach1 over the MyT (despite my love of the red color :)) was the 28lb vs 35lb head, and the ability to break the Mach1 in two pieces--which, thankfully, I have not so far needed to use.

When I heard about the Mach2 with encoders, I was thinking I *might* sell my Mach1 to upgrade--until I found out the weight which (for me) would be prohibitive, as I am mobile and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

As you said, the AP crowd is graying. Muscles are dwindling, knees are twitching, backs are creaking. All while encroaching light pollution is forcing most to travel in order to image.

Lightweight or modular should be the holy grail for mounts.