Re: Which to Choose; Absolute Encoders or 92 mm Stowaway

Joe Zeglinski

Very well said, Chris,

I never thought of it, but you are right-on.
Besides, an excellent scope and mount,  like those from AP, will eventually pass from hand to hand – as teachers retire, or the kids move on to more advanced equipment as it comes along.

In the same vein, wouldn’t it be grand if Scouting International, established a special ASTRONOMY Badge, rather than something just relating to “outdoors and camping”. Maybe in the future they might concentrate less on finding their way through the forest – probably just streets, when we run out of woods -  than on travelling on pathways through the skies, as man’s journey inevitably reaches even farther afield, for our next generations.

Joe Z.

Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 5:23 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Which to Choose; Absolute Encoders or 92 mm Stowaway

Personally, I believe that we should... 

NEVER GIVE TELESCOPES TO SCHOOLS.

GIVE TELESCOPES TO TEACHERS OR STUDENTS INSTEAD.

If you give it to a school, it inevitably ends up being controlled by school middle-management bureaucrats and spends the rest of its life in the back of a crowded supply closet, never to be seen by kids ever again. The tax write-off for giving it to a school will end up being next-to-nothing anyway.

If you give it to a dedicated teacher, that person is much more likely to learn how to use it properly and take it with them throughout their teaching career.

If you give it to a dedicated student, that person's life will be changed forever.

If it is a big, expensive, complicated telescope, consider selling it to another astro-nut who will love it, or work to establish an NPO in a local community to operate it, put it in an observatory, and perform outreach.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 8:27 AM Michael Hambrick via groups.io <mike.hambrick@...> wrote:
That is a great suggestion. I have also thought about donating it to a local school. Only bad thing is I kept the pier to use with my 1100 mount.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.